What We Do For You
• Evaluate your submission & offer critique & encouragement.
• Work with you on final revisions and pay for professional editing to prepare your book for print.
• Develop a professional front and back cover with your input.
• Obtain ISBN numbers (print & digital.)
• Format and Typeset your manuscript.
• Send you a proof copy for final inspection/corrections.
• Submit for print and conversion to e-book formats.
• Establish price point and establish a pricing range with you.
• Assign free and promotional opportunities.
• Assist you in developing a book web page to market your book.
• Assist you in developing a Facebook author fan page.
• Work with you on developing of social media markets including Twitter, Facebook and more.
• Develop and submit press releases, media marketing materials, articles, self-generated marketing items to general and specific media markets.
• Set up author interviews and book signings locally, as available.
• Make copies of your book available to you at cost. (Note: You have no obligation to purchase any.)
• Submit semi-annual sales reports to you.
• Answer your questions.
• Encourage you to write more books.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I’ve never published a book before?
- We specialize, and enjoy, introducing new, talented, unpublished authors to the literature world. We will gladly read your submitted material and give you a timely, honest evaluation of its content, your writing style and your potential for producing a highly sought-after book.
What if my book needs extensive editing?
- Only the edited copy of your manuscript will be placed under contract. After a book has been provisionally accepted, you will be responsible for editing and proofreading it before submitting it for final approval. If you need help in the editing process, we will be happy to assist you in finding professionals who will work with you through this process, but you will be responsible for the agreed upon costs of professional editing.
- After the edited book is placed under contract, as the publisher, we will do two rounds of editing before we send the final proof to the printers or for e-publishing.
Will I be charged for additional costs to set up a longer or more complicated book?
- We aim to get a great book out, but each book is different and requires differing levels of formatting.
- After your book is under contract, we will supply you with a fixed rate for book production and publication. This rate is generally between $2000 and $3000, but could be as high as $5000, however the author is not liable for the balance. If your book is under contract with us, BYCT Publishing covers any production costs. After we recoup our costs from book sales, we royalty share with you on a fixed, generous agreement.
Will I have any input on the final naming and look of my books?
- Yes – we work WITH you. We will make suggestions based on our experience. As the writer, you can express your ideas, although your goal of working with BYCT is for the benefit of our experience and we hope you will trust our judgment and seriously consider our suggestions.
I don’t see BYCT quoting reviews from anywhere other than individuals and Amazon. Are review copies sent to newspapers, magazines, TV and radio stations, and online book review sites?
- We send reviews, articles, videos, sample copies, bio sheets and more to the above named outlets, in addition to our own online bookstore, The Mormon Bookstore, (themormonbookstore.com).
- We are always in the process of obtaining feedback. Generally, online book review sites are comprised of individuals who read the book and then are paid for their reviews. We solicit quotes from people who voluntarily read your book, then offer an honest review of it.
- At the launching of your book, we will focus on getting an initial sample of your work (both in print and e-formats) to as many people as we can, then promoting reviews and quotes from those first readers. Like all things, this process does take some time.
How are covers designed?
- Authors are included in the design process. We have professional graphic designers working on our covers and print layouts. Graphic art comes from a variety of sources, including original designs and composite works. It all depends on the look we are after.
Why does The Mormon Bookstore catalog appear to only contain a handful of titles?
- This does not constitute any kind of track record. BYCT Publishing, along with The Mormon Bookstore is a relatively young company. We were formed in January 2014. That is not a secret. The formation of this company is based on the experience of the key players and those backing the company. This experience spans decades of writing, editing, graphics, sales and marketing both in the field of books, newspapers, magazines, as well as digital formats. With our recent acquisition of new titles, expect to see the number of books increase rapidly. Many of our titles are series titles which are very popular with readers.
Wouldn’t it make more sense to get a mainstream publisher?
- Absolutely. We believe our company may be your #2 option for publishing available. The likelihood of you getting a mainstream publisher as a new author is slim. I won’t depress you how slim, but here is a quote from a best-selling author, Ian Irvine, who wrote: “Lesson 1: Got expectations? Lower them. Feel free to write the most beautiful, thought-provoking words in the English language. The public will feel equally free to ignore them. Here’s the sad truth: most people who write a book will never get it published, half the writers who are published won’t see a second book in print, and most books published are never reprinted. What’s more, half the titles in any given bookshop won’t sell a single copy there, and most published writers won’t earn anything from their book apart from the advance.” Read the whole article – it answers a lot of questions http://www.ian-irvine.com/publishing.html
What does your contract specify?
- Our contracts offer a higher net royalty share after publishing costs and thus are for at least one year. They are easily renewable after the first year. We have a set contract period so that after we have provided all the services you see on our services page, we will have your book in our bookstore long enough to recoup our costs and market your book in our system.
- We do not bill you for our services. We trust that our marketing of your book will not only pay for our costs of producing it, you will gain a nice profit from all of your hard work, as well.
- We are not publishing dictators – we work with you from start to finish in a collaborative effort. During the period of the contract we want your book to sell well. If you choose not to renew the contract, you will receive a 60 days written notice and then be finished with our exclusive marketing service.
- At the termination of the contract, you may opt to continue to sell your book in our bookstore, and you still receive royalties (under our ISBN), but you may also sell it elsewhere. Since we are a business built on reputation, we strive to maintain a good relationship with all of our authors, past and present.
- Our goal is to be upfront, transparent and clear about how we work. If we have missed anything, let us know. We will post answers to your queries and our answers here.
It seems to me like you are a fairly typical vanity publishing company:
- If you are looking at a vanity site, you will see that it does not describe our company at all. We do not demand total command over your book.
- With a vanity publisher, the publisher takes total control of the submitted manuscript, while the writer pays for a list of incidental expenses and the publisher provides little actual service to the writer.
- Vanity press publishers generally charge an initial fee and require certain book quantities to be purchased by the writer.
- With BYCT, the writer pays no initial fees, and we supply you with ten copies of your book, with additional copies available to you at our wholesale price.
- We realize our money when the book sells and we share the royalty with no hidden fees or prices.
- Vanity publishers will print anything submitted since they make their money from the fees they charge their authors. They do not differentiate between good literature and poorly written or inappropriate material. Everything that is submitted, along with the publisher’s fee, is published and offered from their website.
- Unlike vanity publishers, we decline a vast majority of what is submitted and accept only material that is suited for the discriminating reader who doesn’t like to be surprised by offensive or inappropriate language or scenarios.
- What sets us apart from submission is that we tell you why we will not accept your work if it is declined. We send authors a lengthy response which we trust will help them in fine-tuning their work. We welcome resubmissions, but we do have a high standard of what we accept.
If you have a question you want answered, CONTACT US at: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond directly.
SUBMIT YOUR WRITING
Please complete the form to the right for questions.
To submit your work, click on the link below, fill out the form and attach your word manuscript. If you only have a sample of your manuscript, please make this fact clear in the comment box. The form acts as your permission for us to evaluate your work.[Note: Use of a Release Form is standard practice, allowing us to read your work. You are not giving up any rights by including it and your work may not be used for any other purpose. We cannot read anything without the submission agreement included. It will be immediately discarded.]
Once we have evaluated your writing, we will let you know our decision about it, and what your next steps should be, if we are interested in publishing your work we will send you an agreement form for you to sign. You should hear back from us within three weeks. If it is going to take us longer to evaluate, we will notify you – we know you are anxiously awaiting a response.
Good luck! We look forward to reading you.
To submit your work, click HERE
Visit our online store, The Mormon Bookstore, where we sell our published works along with other works of high moral content.
To learn about becoming a partner with our online store please see our Media Kit.